Chester City 0 Wycombe Wanderers 1

Jermaine Easter struck a late winner to strengthen Wycombe's play-off hopes at Chester's expense.

Neither side had mustered a single effort on target until two minutes from time, a swift break away saw Kevin Betsy break down the right flank and set up the division's top scorer Easter, who side-footed the ball home from 10 yards out.

The result was rough justice on a Chester side, harboring play-off ambitions themselves, who had more than matched the visitors throughout.

Admittedly, the blustery conditions did not make for a free-flowing game and both sides struggled to impose themselves throughout. However, it was the home side that made the early running, keeping the ball at ground level, while the visitors looked to hit them with the lightning pace of Easter and Betsy up front.

On 15 minutes a half chance opened up for Laurence Wilson when the referee had played a good advantage after Roberto Martinez had been fouled, but the left-sided midfielder hit his right-footed effort well wide of the target.

Ten minutes later it was the same Chester player involved, as Wilson waltzed past two defenders and had a good shooting chance, again on his wrong foot, which he tamely hit straight into the hands of keeper Ricardo Batista.

Eight minutes before the break the home side were forced into a defensive change as Ashley Westwood limped out of the action to be replaced by Paul Linwood.

Wycombe boss Paul Lambert made two changes of his own at the interval in an attempt to inject some life into his unusually lacklustre side who appeared a little leg weary after their cup exploits in mid-week, as Sergio Torres and Ikechi Anya came on in place of Tommy Doherty and Stefan Oakes.

They instantly looked brighter going forward, prompting Chester to inject fresh legs into their side with Lee Steele and Kevin Sandwith being thrown into the fray in place of the ineffective Gregg Blundell and Dean Bennett just before the hour mark.

Despite the lack of goals and opportunities it was an open game calling out for one moment of brilliance to claim all three points.

That moment almost came from Steele who beat two men and crossed a beautiful ball which Martinez was just a foot away from connecting with for an almost certain goal.

Wilson shot wide late on, and it was left to Wycombe to snatch the winner, seconds after Jon Walters had gone close at the other end, as Wycombe ensured no hang-over after their cup exploits against Chelsea earlier this week.